Skip to main content

Senselessness and Atrocities

I have struggled with the senselessness of this past week. I have not had the words to express my sadness, anger, frustration.

Racial Love


How can a man be dead when he complied with officers? How does NOT ONE officer in attendance step in and say, "Enough?" How does one who has so many complaints against him still patrol the streets? What has allowed this behavior to continue? How does it take so long to arrest the offending officer? I have so many questions and no answers. 

And then the rioters. I believe in peaceful protest. Yes, Martin Luther King Jr said, "A riot is the language of the unheard." But he also said, "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.” 

How does burning down local businesses, restaurants, and looting further the cause? Rather than focusing on the truth of what happened, those who are violently protesting are distracting from what happened. They are hurting the very people who are continually pushed down. Their businesses, places of employment, potential homes, libraries, stores. Everything in flames. To what end? 

I believe in supporting our brothers and sisters and fighting for equality. It is a fight that everyone must take up. It is no longer acceptable to stand and watch others beaten down over and over with no response. No change. Just words. We all must speak out against police brutality. We must look at everyone with the eyes of a child, who sees no color until we tell them what to see. We must love our neighbor as ourselves. 

I believe in respect for all. I have been talking a lot this week to the boys about respect. Respect for everyone, no matter what they look like, their beliefs, their place in life. We talked about how some people who should deserve respect sometimes do things that lose respect. 

I believe in honoring color. I saw a quote on my friend's FB page (I will tribute it as soon as I can find out who said it), "'I see no color' is not the goal. 'I see your color and I honor you. I value your input. I will be educated about your lived experiences. I will work against the racism that harms you. You are beautiful. Tell me how to do better.'... That's the goal." I love this quote. It is how we grow to embrace all experiences. 

I have been talking to them about race. That some people are treated differently because of the color of their skin. We talked about how they are half Korean. While they don't look fully Asian, they don't look Caucasian either. I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I want them to be prepared the first time someone is unkind to them because they are half Korean. I told them that someone might say something unkind to them because of this. M looked at his hands, turned them over, and said sadly, "But Mommy, my skin is peach." My heart just about broke. They don't see the skin color of any of their friends. But they also have somehow learned that our society values "peach" skin. 

How do we become part of the solution?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling Audibles

Today all planned activities were thrown out the window and multiple audibles were called. There were meltdowns and then there were MELTDOWNS, which resulted in way too much screen time. Likely three plus hours. At least I was not interrupted during the video call we had with my VP. Meltdown Causes M didn’t want to bring his Legos downstairs. M hit L because he broke his LEGO sword L crashed into M’s bike and got a cut near the outside corner of his eye. Meltdown over whether he would have to go to the emergency room and get stitches. (Valid, since he has been there twice since Christmas for glue/stitches and HATES needles.) Fortunately, just a surface cut that we can take care of at home with bacitracin. Boys didn’t want to get the $0.25 they owed me for leaving the light on in their room from the piggy bank themselves . "Why can't YOU just get it?" (New rule: if you leave your light on, you owe Mommy $0.25. Something we should have started a long time ago.) I...

Sunday of the Cross

Sunday of the Cross "O Lord, save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance! Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries, And by virtue of Thy cross, preserve Thy habitation!" ~Troparion for the Cross  I was honored to be asked to participate in the "skeleton crew" for Matins & Liturgy at St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral this morning, which was streamed on YouTube for all the faithful. We were allowed to have no more than 10 people at Liturgy and we had exactly that; but we prayed for every person who sent their names in - the living and the departed.  When we arrived at the Great Doxology with the Cross brought out and we began singing "O Lord, Save Thy People", I almost broke down. The Orthodox Fight Song. Grant victory to the health care workers who are saving lives; to researchers and scientists who are searching for a vaccine and cure; to volunteers who are making masks, bringing food to shut-ins, helping...

Wins & "Opportunities" Day 1

We Survived Day 1 Day one is in the books. I was home on my own, as Nate had to report in, but will be home for two weeks, starting tomorrow. There was less work during working hours and more setting up activity areas, but we survived! Now that dining in at restaurants has ended for a bit and gyms are closed, there are fewer ways to transmit the virus. But also, the LIBRARY closed! My homeschooling friend posted a shot of "This is NOT what homeschooling looks like. We are not normally stuck at home. We normally have access to libraries, museums, zoos and friends." Agreed, we are in unprecedented times. So I learned a few things today: Wins: I got one final trip to Target at 7 am for at least the rest of week one. Donuts are delicious for breakfast - especially ones with St. Patrick's Day Lucky Charms! Boys changed into their clothes FIRST THING after breakfast. Miracle of miracles. They would stay in the same pajamas a week, day and night, if I let them....