Skip to main content

Day One - COVID-19 School Break HELP!!!

It all started with my friend, Carrie, posting a list of things to do with kids at home. At the time, we had school called off two days. Nothing traumatic, but not awesome after having M and L home for Spring Break the past week. Maybe a good thing all those vacationers stayed home a couple extra days. Then came the announcement that school would be closed at least until March 27th. Wait, what? Our School Carnival was planned for a March 28th! (Separate issue) Sigh.

What are parents going to do for at least two weeks? I’m supposed to be working from home. That does not happen efficiently or effectively with kids present. How on earth am I to keep them entertained?!?!?

Enter a list of things to do. I was already doing one as church school coordinator for our church (now that church school and perhaps even Liturgy is cancelled for the foreseeable future). Why not add non-religious activities?

Enter this blog. I’m going to do my best to keep the list updated with new resources for my friends. Some will be specific to MN, but many will be for anyone, anywhere who is struggling with not strangling their kids. If you are taking social distancing seriously, (and you SHOULD), you know by now that if you can’t have your own 6’ bubble, you shouldn’t be out. This goes for play dates, visits to grandparents, cousins, anyone.  Take this seriously people!

If you want to skip my rambling, read the headers below for my Day 1 plan. Scroll to find the beginnings of my resources and ideas. If you have suggestions, feel free to comment. I work full time, but will try to add things as much as possible.

Starting tomorrow, we are going to try to keep a “normal” schedule. The boys may sleep in a tad bit longer, or they may have a bit more screen time than normal, but I’m going to keep them busy. Dear Lord, somehow give me the patience I am going to need! Anyone who knows me knows I have none. Below is my plan:

Wake Up/Breakfast/Get Ready
No more of this staying in PJs until 2 pm. Or the next sleep. Forget the nasty morning breath, you are brushing your teeth. I expect a tantrum or two about the PJs. I’ll let you know how this goes.

Continue Sorting Legos
This began on Saturday. I was fed up with the LEGO table overflowing and suggested we sort them out into bins. Didn’t think it would catch on until I was doing my Beachbody workout and heard M throwing a fit because Daddy (N) wanted to just put them away. Guess they listen once in a blue moon. So we have commenced with the sorting. Several sessions later, we have made progress, but not more than 1/2 done. Once completed, they have been challenged to put together all of the 732 sets that were strewn across the house. Any bets on how many pieces are missing?



Head Outside Part 1 
Fresh air is a MUST for the boys. M & L will be at it if they don't get to run around a bit. On Saturday, we had two hours at the park and Sunday a 40-minute bike ride. Hoping they get dirty and into mischief, but only in the yard. Noticed some buds popping up, so I will have to discourage them away from the flowers. Isn't it too early for that?

Check out Scholastic's Learn at Home Website
The amazing folks at Scholastic are opening up their website for free with lessons for kids PreK through 6th grade. Good thing we have a new laptop and the iPad to keep them separated. This will likely require supervision, at least to start. Can we figure it out and use for the next couple weeks? There will ultimately be 20 days of lessons, but they only have five to start. It's supposed to remain free and open indefinitely. 

Lunch
None of those cinnamon rolls or Italian Dunkers they get at school. What will they do without Chocolate Milk?

Reading Time
Attempt to get M & L to read for 30 minutes. M will be no problem, but L just wants us to read to him. Maybe can get him to look at picture books, but not sure if 30 min will make it

Head Outside Part 2
One more bit of play outside. I might be ambitious to think I will get them out twice. Fingers crossed...

Give Up on Work
At this point, I think I will have to give up until N is home. Until his work gives him flex opportunities, I'm stuck on my own. He gets to take over when he walks in the door. 

Wish us luck!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Protection of the Theotokos

The Cathedral's Patronal Feast St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral - at the start of Vespers (courtesy Fr. Benjamin Tucci) Tonight was just what I needed - a calming evening in church with the boys to celebrate the Protection of the Theotokos. "Calming" and "with the boys" don't often go together, but tonight they were both so well behaved and the singing was a balm for the soul. M decided he was going to stand the entire service. I told him he could sit during the Old Testament readings, but he refused and stood the entire time. L worked on crossing himself correctly and pointed out each of the plagues on the Egyptians in his Children's Bible.  Throughout the chaos of the world today, I just wanted to go to church. Yes, it was our feast, but something just drew me this evening. As we were driving down, we could see the storms rolling in with the lightning streaking across the sky. The first drops began as we raced into church. Once we settled in, a peacef

Sunday of the Cross

Sunday of the Cross "O Lord, save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance! Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries, And by virtue of Thy cross, preserve Thy habitation!" ~Troparion for the Cross  I was honored to be asked to participate in the "skeleton crew" for Matins & Liturgy at St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral this morning, which was streamed on YouTube for all the faithful. We were allowed to have no more than 10 people at Liturgy and we had exactly that; but we prayed for every person who sent their names in - the living and the departed.  When we arrived at the Great Doxology with the Cross brought out and we began singing "O Lord, Save Thy People", I almost broke down. The Orthodox Fight Song. Grant victory to the health care workers who are saving lives; to researchers and scientists who are searching for a vaccine and cure; to volunteers who are making masks, bringing food to shut-ins, helping